Recovery, Radiation and Chemo

It starts the same way every time. I run my hands through my hair and suddenly there's a lot more than "just shedding" wrapped in my fingers. It's a knowing when you see it in your hands. A heaviness that settles in your chest - with a sigh of resignation. You know what's coming, what you need to do to get there ... and yet you still hold out hope that maybe ... just maybe ... you're one of the rare patients who doesn't lose all their hair from chemo. Unlikely ... but you hope anyway.

And then you take your first shower after it starts shedding. And handfuls and handfuls of hair are wrapped, woven and intertwined in both hands ... down your back, down your chest, on your arms ... and you do everything you can to lean back and let the water just rinse through your hair and not on your body so you don't have hair stuck to you everywhere - and you're only mildly successful. If anything you've just contained it to your back. The drain is completely covered with fallout ... and all you can do is just sigh.

And this happens every - single - time - you - shower. Gobs and gobs of hair to the point where you wonder if you even have any left on your head and you're scared to look in the mirror when you get out. Every single time you brush your hair - it falls out in unsettling amounts. Every time you touch your hair - you get covered in fall out. You do everything you can to not touch your hair once you've got it how you want it - combed over in various areas to hide the thinning. You pray for non-windy days and you try to sleep with minimal movement so as to not have to comb it excessively in the morning and deal with more fall out. 

This is where I'm at right now. Gobs of hair and a thinning pixie cut. Those tiles in this picture - each little square is 2x2 inches ... just to give you an idea of how big that ball of hair is, it's sitting on a 6x6 inch square.




I started the second cycle of my new chemo combo last week - Eribulin and Herceptin. One cycle of Eribulin consists of 3 weeks, where once a week for two weeks you receive the chemo, and then the third week of the cycle you have "off" and you recover. And then you repeat, every three weeks. At the end of this second cycle, we'll scan and measure whether or not this is working. And like all the times before - if it's not working - I move on to another treatment on the very short list of available treatments left. If it is working - I get another 3 months before we scan again.

But what about the trial? Oh yes. I haven't forgotten. It's running in the back of my mind every day. One woman currently still in an extended remission from her body's own amazing TIL cells. One amazing metastatic breast cancer patient ... one amazing response ... one amazing mystery that they're still trying to solve and then replicate in other patients.

I'm still in the trial. I'm just now waiting for the Big Question to be answered - is there any reactivity between my TIL cells and the tumor they removed? They're still testing. That's the latest update as of yesterday. Still sequencing the tumor and still testing. In the meantime ... I go back to treatment as usual, while I wait for this chance at a chance.

And yes - if you caught that - I did have surgery in June, which is how they have a tumor on which to test. I had a "partial wedge resection of my lower right lobe with a partial pluerectomy and pluerodesis." In essence - they removed a section of my lower lobe in my right lung that had a tumor, they removed some of the lining that is in between the lung and the interior of the chest cavity, and they scratched up any lining that was left, so my right lung now sticks to the interior of my chest cavity. They did this last part to help deal with the fluid that was continually building up in my lung and causing a partial collapse. I had 3 chest tubes after the fact, 3 incisions and was in the hospital for 9 days. Gotta love a federally funded hospital for that - no rush to discharge you until the doctors feel you are absolutely ready to go - no push or deadline because of what insurance will only pay for. It was really nice (and how healthcare really should be). And when it was time to leave - you can bet Mike and I jumped on the first flight out of there as soon as we got the green light. I was done being in the hospital. And Mike was done sleeping on a little convertible armchair. And you bet your asses the flight home was in first class.

 

As far as surgery and recovery went - it was alright. I had minimal pain overall and what I did have was managed well with meds. They maneuvered everything in between my ribs - surgical instruments, cameras, tissue, etc. The largest incision is where they actually removed the lung section. The smaller two is where the chest tubes were coming out - 2 in one, 1 in the other - pulled out of my chest, bedside. It looks like I got shot and was in a knife fight. But again - overall the pain was minimal. What really hurt was my T3 vertebrae and there was nothing I could do to treat it until surgery was over and I could get back to treatment - and that's really why I was taking the pain meds. All in all, I was off of treatment for 2.5 months just to be eligible for surgery for this trial. In that time, overall cancer growth wasn't as bad as it could have been - but my T3 for sure grew more painful everyday.

A few days after we got home from Bethesda, I was getting radiation treatment. I've never been so happy to be radiated. Within a few days the pain was gone. I did 10 sessions of radiation to my T2-T4, as that's how they treat the vertebrae ... and shortly after rads was done, I started my 3rd chemo, my 5th line of treatment, in the metastatic setting, in 31 months.

Treatment line #1 - Ibrance and Letrozole, 11 months
Treatment line #2 - Taxol, Herceptin, Perjeta - 6 weeks
Treatment line #3 - Xeloda and Herceptin, 7 months
Treatment line #4 - Verzenio, Faslodex and Herceptin, 4 months
Treatment line #5 - Eribulin and Herceptin, TBD

That's how this works remember. I keep jumping from one treatment to another to another - in an effort to string life together. I've taken two breaks during this time as well - each about 3 months in length. And each time - there was moderate growth and progression in the absence of treatment. In addition to 5 lines of treatment, I've had 4 biopsies/procedures, 4 surgeries, 2 implanted medical devices, 10 surgical scars, a neck brace, a near complete collapse of my right lung ... I've lost both my breasts, both my ovaries, and now part of my lung ... and I've lost my hair 3 times (4 times if you count early stage treatment).

Talk about feeling like a science experiment. 

 But if it's the only way to get where I am today - I'd do it all over again - in a heartbeat.

Camden starts kindergarten next week and I'm so freaking excited to see him off - I can't stand it. I'll likely cry and be big bawling mess - but who cares - my baby is starting school. He's solidly obsessed with Jurassic World and we'll surprise him with a JW backpack, lunch box and water bottle. Nicholas is solidly entering the terrible 2 / terrible 3 territory and is giving us all a run for our money. Inexplicable tantrums that make Mike and I look at each other and just laugh or shrug or go "WTF" ... followed up by the sweetest expressions like "Mommy you're my best friend."

These are the moments I fight for. This is why I endure so much. I just want to see them grow up. I want to raise them into decent, kind human beings - who have a happy life. I would endure three times as much as I have already - and more - for the chance at growing old with Mike. It's all I want to do. So I keep on, keeping on - living for right now, openly embracing the present and just going one step at a time. I plan only so far as I can with my treatment and scans - and that's enough. I look forward to things - cautiously - and don't set my hopes too high for any one thing - and I try my best not to get upset or disappointed if I can't do something. Because honestly - so long as I have my time with my family - that's all I could ever want or need.









Comments

  1. Homeopathy is also a good option these days!
    One of my friend went to "Candrol" for Cancer Treatment in Jaipur and she is absolutely fine now, plays basketball with us everyday!!
    Check out Breast cancer treatment options here!

    Get Well Soon!! :)

    Very Useful Post!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Melissa, You and your family continue to be in my thoughts and prayers. I check every few days to hear that you have made it to the trial at NIH and are cured. I don’t know you, but I’m cheering you on.

    God bless and keep you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ALL THANKS TO DR WILLIAMS WITH HIS HERBAL PORTION I WAS COMPLETELY CURED FROM BREAST CANCER.
    I'm here again to appreciate. DR WILLIAMS God will always continue to bless you more abundantly, for the good works you done in my life, I will always keep on writing good and posting my testimonies about you on the Internet, I’m Jessica from Orlando, Florida. I was tested breast cancer positive, I saw a blog on how DR WILLIAMS cured people with his herbal portion, i did not believe in natural medicine but i just decided to give him a try, I contacted him,and explain my situation to him,few day later he sent me the herb, after taking doc Williams herbal medicine for few week i also got my healing with his herbal portion, i am so happy. If you have any type of cancer problem ,you can contact him on Drwilliams098675@gmail.com for advice and for his product,i hope this testimony also help some one out there .

    ReplyDelete
  4. ALL THANKS TO DR WILLIAMS WITH HIS HERB MY WIFE WAS COMPLETELY CURED FROM BREAST CANCER .
    Is my pleasure to comment on this site and i thank the admin of this site for his/her great work so far.one of the happiest moment in my life was when the doctor confirm that my wife is been free from this illness. this awesome moments makes me the happiest man on earth, I really don't know how to thank DR WILLIAMS for helping my wife get cured for over how many year of suffering from breast cancer. i came across DR Williams contact through a headline news on internet about how DR Williams help a woman to get cured of her colon cancer and so many other with similar body problem ,i contacted him and he told me how to get his herb,few day later he sent me the herbal portion which my wife take every morning for 28 days, and his medicine was able to cure her completely from breast cancer. and now she very mush okay without any side effects whatsoever, If you have any form of cancer, you can always contact him on his email address drwilliams098675@gmail.com for advice and for his product.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a sign of gratitude for how my wife was saved from CANCER, i decided to reach out to those still suffering from this.
    My wife suffered cancer in the year 2013 and it was really tough and heartbreaking for me because she was my all and the symptoms were terrible, she always complain of abnormal vaginal bleeding, and she always have pain during sexual intercourse. . we tried various therapies prescribed by our neurologist but none could cure her. I searched for a cure and i saw a testimony by someone who was cured and so many other with similar body problem, and he left the contact of the doctor who had the cure to cancer . I never imagined cancer. has a natural cure not until i contacted him and he assured me my wife will be fine. I got the herbal medication he recommended and my wife used it and in one months time she was fully okay even up till this moment she is so full of life. cancer. has a cure and it is a herbal cure contact the doctor for more info on drwilliams098675@gmail.com on how to get the medication. Thanks for reading my testimony.

    ReplyDelete
  6. GREETINGS everyone out there.. my name is (Robert Lora) I am from CANADA i will never forget the help Dr Ogudugu render to me in my marital life. I have been married for 8 years now and my husband and i love each other very dearly. After 6 years of our marriage my husband suddenly change he was having an affair with a lady outside our marriage, my husband just came home one day he pick up his things and left me and the kids to his mistress outside at this time i was confuse not knowing what to do again because i have lost my husband and my marriage too. i was searching for help in the internet, i saw many people sharing testimony on how Dr Ogudugu help them out with their marital problems so i contacted the email of Dr Ogudugu i told him my problem and i was told to be calm that i have come to the right place were i can get back my husband within the next 48hours, to my greatest surprise my husband came to my office begging me on his knees that i should find a place in my heart to forgive him, that he will never cheat on me again, i quickly ask him up that i have forgiven him. Friends your case is not too hard why don't you give Dr Ogudugu a chance, because i know they will help you to fix your relationship with your Ex Partner. Dr Ogudugu his the best spell caster around to solve any problem for you.
    {1} HIV/AIDS
    {2CANCER
    {3}HERPES
    {4}DIABETES
    (5}HERPERTITIS B

    Email: GREATOGUDUGU@GMAIL.COM
    Call/WhatsApp:+27663492930

    ReplyDelete
  7. I recently have some difficult conversations and I did what a lot of people do when they want to know how to do something. I googled it. I came across Dr Williams herbal medicine on YouTube so many people thanking him about his good work. I also have lungs cancer. I wasn’t running all over God’s creation with every man I could find but here I am. I have felt bad about myself for so many years now because of my cancer status. I obviously still have some self-accepting to do but I want to thank Dr Williams for everything he have done for my family ,after taking Dr Williams medicine i was completely free from lungs cancer within one month of usage, I think what you are doing is so admirable. you have helped me a lot! I want to definitely reach out to you and thank you for your amazing work. You are a good person, and an extremely talented man. You have helped millions with your herbs, and have really inspired me,and i pray you still continue doing the good work.you can also email him on drwilliams098675@gmail.com for help

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chemicals used in industries gives me Leukemia Cancer and it's all started when I wanted to get off my job to get another job that when I got diagnose, at that very point I was so scared to die because it has infected my blood cells also I was prescribed drugs like Cyclophosphamide,Busulfan,Bosutinib,Cytarabine, Cytosar-U (Cytarabine),Dasatinib in all that was just to keep me waiting for my dying day. I got inspired by what I read from a lady called Tara Omar on blog spot on how Dr Itua cure her HIV/Aids then they were lettered below that says he can cure Cancer so I pick his contact on the testimony she wrote then I emailed Dr Itua hopefully he replied swiftly to my mail then I purchased his Herbal medicine also it was shipped to me here in Texas, I went to pick it at post office so he instructs me on how the treatment will take me three weeks to cure my Leukemia Disease, Joyfully I was cured by this Dr Itua Herbal Medicine.
    I will advise you too to give a try to Dr Itua Herbal Medicine with the following diseases that he can help you cure forever___Diabetes, Herpes,HIV/Aids, Bladder Cancer, Breast Cancer, Vaginal Cancer, Kidney Cancer, Lung Cancer, Skin Cancer, Uterine Cancer, Prostate Cancer, Colo_Rectal Cancer, Leukemia Cancer, Hepatitis, Brain Tumors, Tach Disease,Love Spell, Infertility, Hpv. GoodLuck,XoXo****
    Dr Itua Contact Information:::
    Email (info@drituaherbalcenter.com)(drituaherbalcenter@gmai.com)
    WhatsApp-(+2348149277967)

    ReplyDelete
  9. WHAT A GREAT MIRACLE THAT I HAVE EVER SEE IN MY LIFE. My names are Clara David I’m a citizen of USA, My younger sister was sicking of breast cancer and her name is Sandra David I and my family have taking her to all kind of hospital in USA still yet no good result. I decided to search for cancer cure so that was how I found a lady called Peter Lizzy. She was testifying  to the world about the goodness of a herbal man who has the roots and herbs to cure all kinds of disease and the herbal man's email was there. So I decided to contact the herbal man @herbalist_sakura for my younger sister's help to cure her breast cancer. I contacted him and told him my problem he told me that I should not worry that my sister cancer will be cure, he told me that there is a medicine that he is going to give me that I will cook it and give it to my sister to drink for one week, so I ask how can I receive the cure that I am in USA, he told me That I will pay for the delivery service. The courier service can transport it to me so he told me the amount I will pay, so my dad paid for the delivery fee. two days later I receive the cure from the courier service so I used it as the herbal man instructed me to, before the week complete my sister cancer was healed and it was like a dream to me not knowing that it was physical I and my family were very happy about the miracle of Doctor so my dad wanted to pay him 5 million us dollars the herbal man did not accept the offer from my dad, but I don't know why he didn't accept the offer, he only say that I should tell the world about him and his miracle he perform so am now here to tell the world about him if you or your relative is having any kind of disease that you can't get from the hospital please contact dr.sakuraspellalter@gmail.com or whats app him +2348110114739  you can follow him up on Instagram @herbalist_sakura for the cure, he will help you out with the problem. And if you need more information about the doctor you can mail me davidclara223@gmail.com 

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts