Day 20 - Weekend News

We received good news in the mail over the weekend. The genetic test performed at my first visit with the surgical oncologist in Littleton came back. Results are "No Mutation Detected."
Hooray!
I had a feeling I didn't have the gene. It just didn't seem like it fit my story. There isn't any prevalence in my family of breast cancer -- so having the gene would have been even more of a shock.

So - what caused it then? That's something I don't know that we'll ever figure out. If I did have the gene, at least I would have had some type of concrete reason. But alas, we're just going to have to continue to wonder. But having the gene markers would have meant other things to worry about - like ovarian cancer on top of all this. Many women who have the marker opt for removal of their ovaries as well as their breasts. That would be too much for me. I'm thankful I don't have it. It would have such a huge impact on my family if I did -- it would mean not only myself now, but my sister, mom, niece as well as any future children we have are all impacted.
Thankfully, it's just me.

Comments

  1. That is such great news! Well, you know ... Given the circumstances that is!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts